Free Probate Forms
Seattle & King County | Tacoma & Pierce County
Everett & Snohomish County | All Washington
For Attorneys, Lawyers, & the Public
Washington Probate Forms > Filling in the Probate Forms
See the sample Petition for Probate to the right.
Fill in the county in which you will file or have filed.
Fill in Decedent's name.
3. Case Number (also called "Cause Number")
If your case has not yet been opened (ie, you have not filed anything yet):
Leave this area blank;
When you file
for the first time, the
Court Clerk will rubber stamp a preset number into this area and then will
likely hand the rubber stamp to you for you to stamp your copies as part of
your case has already been opened (ie, you have
already filed something): Fill in this area with your case number.
Caution: $15 fine if case number including area designation omitted upon filing, at least in King County.
4. Title & Statutes
5. Header: The portion of the document above the horizontal line under the Caption.
6. Body: The portion of the document below the horizontal line under the Caption (and, technically, above the date, place, and signature section at the end of the document).
7. Footer: The portion of the document in its bottom margin, to help identify the document in the Court file.
Fill in your Contact Information.
8. Date, Place, & Signature Section
Date: Use the date that the document is signed, in the form of Month day, year, eg, July 4, 2003.
Place: Use the place that the document is signed, in the form of City, State, eg, Seattle, WA.
Printed Name of Signing Party
Most of the documents you will sign as the petitioning or appointed Personal Representative.
Some of the documents are for others to sign, for example:
Waivers, Receipts, etc., to be signed, for example, by a surviving spouse, an heir, a beneficiary, or a creditor.
Sign your name on the "Presented by" signature line, but
Leave the date and main signature line blank, for the Judge to fill in.